There is a Church in Sterling Virginia named Calvary Temple. A few of you readers may have heard about it. Run by a Star R. Scott, the Church had believers flock to it. But to be honest, the Church seems a bit shady, almost Cult like. I have here a set of reasons for why this place is a Cult, not a church.
- Calvary’s way is the right way: All other churches are wrong. If you don’t believe in Calvary’s way of practice, then they will shun you and try to make your life as hard as they can. (For some reason, they seem to hate Mormons the most)
- Star R. Scott has complete control: The man has named himself High Pastor of the Church, which basically means he is The sole authority. Scott has complete control of all the real estate and fundings of the Church. He makes all the decisions on what goes on, and no one else has a say in the matter.
- Scott also uses the Bible to his advantage: Scott has shown his conning skills at their prime when he delivers “God’s message”. After the death of his wife from cancer, Scott told his congregants a week or so later that God came down to him and said it was his will that he choose a virgin from the congregation to be his new wife. He chose Greer Ellsworth. She was 20 at the time. Scott was 55. Fortunately, some members of the church thought this was a bit disturbing and left, but Scott still had around 500 people to “preach to”. It’s funny how God likes to command Scott to indulge himself, with things like “Thou shalt build yourself a pool in the backyard” and “Thou shalt construct a giant race track for your many expensive cars”.
- The Church Funding: As sole trustee of the Church funds, Scott has direct access to all the cash that flows in from the tithing. It is normal for a church to tithe about 5 percent of their income, but Scott has doubled that. If members fail to pay up, then they are suspended from the Church until amends are made. Also, although there must b tons of money going into the church, no one really sees any improvements to the Church. Only to Pastor Scott’s car collection…..
- Family Issues: If your family is part of Calvary but you are not, chances are you’re going to get kicked out. Many kids have been kicked out of their homes by their parents because they don’t go to Calvary, some as young as 16. The truth is that if you don’t go to Calvary, then they don’t want you connected to them in any way. The members will pressure your family to kick you out, or your relatives to shun you, or your wife/husband to divorce you.
- The members themselves: The people who go to Calvary are so religiously zealous it’s actually quite scary. If Scott told them God favors murder, half the Sterling population would most likely be missing by now. Also, Calvary has become so isolationist that as far as I know few new members have joined, and the members all seem to be related somehow through marriages and distant cousins and so forth. The gene pool’s going to get awful small, and it’s only a matter of time before inbreeding occurs. maybe 3 or 4 years.
Luckily the IRS have begun to look into Scott’s activities, and there is a rumor that several of his cars were impounded, although he told his congregants that he sold them to better the Church fund. It’s only a matter of time before his sham is revealed.
Post yes or no if you think this is a Cult or a Church