Nudity is a common debate issue in many religions today. Some see nudity as natural while others see it as sinful and evil. Many Christian groups see nudity of any kind sinful and disgusting. Often they will file complaints with the FCC if they see it in media such as TV, newspapers and art. There are other groups that have no problem with nudity and see it as God’s greatest gift. Some groups believe nudity is only acceptable between two marriage partners, between children and parents and children. In Judaism, clothes on attitude for most social and familial situations exist. The exceptions are taking a shower, having sexual relations or while performing ritual tevilah in a mikveh. The Jewish community also has varying opinions. The Orthodox branch is very strict to limit viewing even to a spouse. Some people believe in no nudity so strongly that if a child does go nude in the house they will severely beat the child. More liberal groups leave it to the views, beliefs and lifestyle of the person. In the Islam religion, a part of the body not to be exposed is called an awrah. For men the awrah is the navel to the knees but most Islamic cultures frown on it if a man does not cover his upper half. For women the awrah is different. In front of other women the awrah is the same as men. But in front of men it is the whole body except hands and face. South Asian religions have no problem and several rituals are done nude. Some holy men do cover themselves with ashes for the rituals for certain reasons. In new religions such as Wicca, social and ritual nudity are commonplace and there is even a term for it called skyclad which is used to separate the two different types of nudity. In Raelism there are no problems with nudity at all.
Many religions have very different points of view on nudity. Some allow it others abhor it strongly.
This is a quick summary
Christianity has mixed views on it. Some branches accept and embrace nudity well other see it as evil and will fight against it to be shown on TV.
- Judaism has a somewhat more lenient view. They believe in clothes on attitude for social and familial situations. Exceptions are showering having sex with a partner or performing a ritual called tevilah. There are also branches which leave it to the views of the person.
· Islam has more conservative views and calls the part of the body not be exposed the awrah. For men it is the part of the body from navel to knees while for women it is everything except hands and face.
· South Asian religions have no problem with nudity and many rituals are done nude.
· New religions such as Wicca and Raelism have no problem either and many rituals are also done nude.
1. Do you condone nudity?
2. Do religions that have problems with nudity have too harsh rules?
3. Do you feel Islam rules are too harsh?
4. Should religions that have a problem with nudity have a reform like many religions have done with other issues?