Delhi, the capital city of India, has a large population of Sikhs (Punjabis) and many Gurudwaras (worship places of Sikhs). Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib is one of the most important Sikh Gurudwara located in Delhi which has historical significance.
Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib is located in the famous Chandni Chowk area opposite to the most popular landmark of Delhi, Red Fort. Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Sikh Guru was beheaded on the orders of the Mughal emperor Aurangazeb on 11th November 1675 in this site. His body was taken by one of his disciples and cremated in his house. That site is marked by another Gurudwara in Delhi, Gurudwara Rakab Ganj Sahib. The severed head (called as “Sis” in Punjabi language) of Guru was cremated by Guru’s son, Guru Gobind Singh.
Almost after 100 years, the Sikh military leader Baghel Singh marched into Delhi city. The then Mughal emperor Shah Alam II agreed to allow him to build Gurudwaras in historical sites in Delhi. He built many Gurudwaras in Delhi. Sis Ganj was one of them. It was built from April 1783 to November 1783. However, there were disputes whether the site could be used as a mosque or Gurudwara for several years. Eventually, the settlement was made in favour of Sikhs. The present structure was built in 1930 AD. The trunk of tree under which the Guru was beheaded, the well from where he took bath when he was in prison and the police station where the Guru was imprisoned and torutured are all well preserved as monuments inside the Gurudwara.